It had been a long time since I have raced Mountain Bikes. Just coming off the 5 day colorado Trail trip I thought I would be prime for this race. Not the case. If you have never done a 24 hour race there is no way to really prepare unless you have done a race.
Heare are some key things I remember.
~It was cool to Camp and Race
~ Eddie and Kat were way more experienced than us and their pit rocked.
~ Getting up in the middle of the night to "do your lap" could be one of the hardest things I have ever done.
~ Dont blow your self on the first lap.
~ 6in travel 30 pound bikes are not ideal for 24 hour racing (duh)
~ 24 hour racing is a huge challenge and a BLAST!
We came in last and my breaks went out on my last lap at 4:00am in the morning. But am ready for more 24hr racing.
The Townie bikes were hilarious and Eddie Miller gave up his belt this year to John Hurley! Rumor has it they had a secret meeting at midnight up on top of the hill.
The line up for the start of the race.
Mike looking for his bike.
And he is off. Mike passed about a 100 people this lap it seemed like!
Here I am nervous and getting ready for my first lap.
We were camped right next to the course.
Mike coming in from his first lap.
Me coming in from my first lap. It was a fast lap but blew my legs already. It was a painful rest of the race fighting of cramps and dead legs.
Hartman Rocks Area
Mike putting in some more miles by the Notch.
Very fun course. Hopefully I do this race again some time.
Links to Adventures
- December Backpacking! Emerald Valley 12.2.12
- November Biking at its Finest
- Epic Pipeline Trail Night Ride 11.28.12
- Big Buffalo Creek Ride 10.28.12
- Backpacking the Great Sand Dunes 10.21.12
- St Marys/ Jones Park 10.13.12
- Ring the Peak 9.9.12
- Dam it feels good to be Bikepacking! 8.25.12
- Phantom Terrace: The adventures of the Comanche/Venable loop 8.19.12
- Best of Europe 7.21 - 8.3 2012
- Macey Lakes Sange De Christo Wilderness 6.30- 7.1 2012
- Nature Video 7.1 2012
- Horn Lakes Sange De Christo Wilderness 6.22 - 6.24 2012
- Celebrate the Summer Solcitice Ride 6.20.12
- Cascade Drop 6.16.2012
- Jones Park 5.27.2012
- 12 Hours of Mesa Verde 5.12.2012
- Jones Park 5.7.2012
- All Mountain Extravanganza! 4.21.2012
- Buffalo Creek 4.11.12
- March Madness 2012
- Snowshoeing the Crags 2.4.12
- New York New York 1.16.12
- 24 Hours of Palmer Park 10.4.11
- Centenial Cone 11.20.2011
- Backpacking Pikes Peak 9.5.2011
- Winter Park Downhill 8.18.2011
- Buffalo Creek/Colorado Trail 4.3.2011
- New Bike! 4.1.2011
- Riding Pueblo South Shore Trails 1.8.2011
- Red Rocks Canyon 12.30.2010
- December Riding 12.26.2010
- Rage in the Sage 24 hour Mountain Bike Race 8.21.10
- Lower Sand Creek Lake and Bishops Castle 8.9.2010
- Colorado Trail 8.1.2010
- Kokopelli 9.29.2009
- Kokopelli 5.1.2009
- Cheyenne Mountain State Park 3.1.2009
- Backpacking Pikes Peak 11.3.2008
- Lower Sand Creek Lake 9.22.2008
- Backpacking Pikes Peak Solo 9.6.2008
- Yellowstone/Beartooth 7.30.2008
- Ring the Peak 7.14.2008
- 2nd amendment5.16.2008
- Kokopelli Experience 4.25.2008
- Monarch Crest to Cotopaxi 9.03.2007
- Beartooth Mountains 7.28.2007
- Splish Splash at Rampart 5.26.2007
- Colorado Trail 9.2.2006
- Ramdom Old School Moab Pics Pre 2005
- Best of Videos