I have been on the fence for awhile about snow shoes. It looked like there is
potential for some fun but wasn't sure it would be worth getting a pair. I had a chance to try a couple different sets and was able to get a good idea of what I wanted in a snow shoe.
I ended up with a set of Atlas 1230s that had a floating binding, suspension, and lots of traction. They are long too! I think it was worth it especially after going on that adventure last night. Even with a dry winter like this year, these shoes could get a good bit of use.
I have only used snow shoes in Monument, but wanted to give the Crags a try after a decent snow storm hit the area.
On they way up the pass there was not much snow and was wondering how conditions would be. When I got up to the trail head there was at least 2- 3 feet of fresh snow!
So after a little adjustment, the new snow shoes were working perfectly and was was making some ground. I started late in the day and only ran into other people on my way up but nobody on the way down. It was a perfectly clear day. Probably about 15 deg so the air was cool and crisp.
The snow was very deep and going off trail was very difficult. So it was a blast to stay in the "rut" so to say.
So I took a break, melted some snow in my jetboil and made some hot coco while I ate a turkey sandwich. The sun had gone down and it was getting dark. I could not believe how quiet and peaceful it was...
So the moon came out and it was time to put the lights on.
Back to the car and about a 45 minute drive home. I am really looking forward to taking out the snow shoes again. Great way to enjoy the trails in the dead of winter.
Links to Adventures
- December Backpacking! Emerald Valley 12.2.12
- November Biking at its Finest
- Epic Pipeline Trail Night Ride 11.28.12
- Big Buffalo Creek Ride 10.28.12
- Backpacking the Great Sand Dunes 10.21.12
- St Marys/ Jones Park 10.13.12
- Ring the Peak 9.9.12
- Dam it feels good to be Bikepacking! 8.25.12
- Phantom Terrace: The adventures of the Comanche/Venable loop 8.19.12
- Best of Europe 7.21 - 8.3 2012
- Macey Lakes Sange De Christo Wilderness 6.30- 7.1 2012
- Nature Video 7.1 2012
- Horn Lakes Sange De Christo Wilderness 6.22 - 6.24 2012
- Celebrate the Summer Solcitice Ride 6.20.12
- Cascade Drop 6.16.2012
- Jones Park 5.27.2012
- 12 Hours of Mesa Verde 5.12.2012
- Jones Park 5.7.2012
- All Mountain Extravanganza! 4.21.2012
- Buffalo Creek 4.11.12
- March Madness 2012
- Snowshoeing the Crags 2.4.12
- New York New York 1.16.12
- 24 Hours of Palmer Park 10.4.11
- Centenial Cone 11.20.2011
- Backpacking Pikes Peak 9.5.2011
- Winter Park Downhill 8.18.2011
- Buffalo Creek/Colorado Trail 4.3.2011
- New Bike! 4.1.2011
- Riding Pueblo South Shore Trails 1.8.2011
- Red Rocks Canyon 12.30.2010
- December Riding 12.26.2010
- Rage in the Sage 24 hour Mountain Bike Race 8.21.10
- Lower Sand Creek Lake and Bishops Castle 8.9.2010
- Colorado Trail 8.1.2010
- Kokopelli 9.29.2009
- Kokopelli 5.1.2009
- Cheyenne Mountain State Park 3.1.2009
- Backpacking Pikes Peak 11.3.2008
- Lower Sand Creek Lake 9.22.2008
- Backpacking Pikes Peak Solo 9.6.2008
- Yellowstone/Beartooth 7.30.2008
- Ring the Peak 7.14.2008
- 2nd amendment5.16.2008
- Kokopelli Experience 4.25.2008
- Monarch Crest to Cotopaxi 9.03.2007
- Beartooth Mountains 7.28.2007
- Splish Splash at Rampart 5.26.2007
- Colorado Trail 9.2.2006
- Ramdom Old School Moab Pics Pre 2005
- Best of Videos