Sunday, July 1, 2012
Macey Lakes Sange De Christo Wilderness 6.30- 7.1 2012
Ok so its been a while since I got a good macro shot like this one but I think its awesome! Look the fly is sticking his tounge out.
With wicked wildfires and smokey air tapering off in Colorado Springs I wanted to get out of town for some more backpacking in my favorite area the Sangre de Christo wilderness. This time exploring a different set of alpine lakes called the Macey Lakes. There were more people on this hike vs. the previous weekend, probably because its close the the 4th of July. Anyways the hike and camping were amazing.
I found a quick lil side trail off of the Rainbow Trail and camped for the night. I was only maybe 2 miles into a 7 mile hike. This picture is of the small creek nearby.
Rainbow trail heading to the Macey Lakes trail.
Start of the Macey Trail that follows Macy creek most of the way up.
This be the wilderness sign
I need to keep hiking way up in there. This trip was a long distance.
Getting higher up you come across the very impressive Macey Falls. It was hard to get a good angle on this beautiful waterfall.
Lower Macey Lake. There is a higher lake on both sides of this one.
Hiking around looking for the trail to the upper lakes. Lets just say it took a little route finding. That is Colony Baldy off in the distance.
I looked everywhere up here for a camping spot by the Macey Lake that was above treeline. There were just not any to be found. So I left and headded to the other upper Macey Lake that was next to Colony Baldy Peak.
So I got lucky and found an amazing camping spot in a clump of high alpine pines with 360 degree amazing views! I really want to come back here and fish a bit.
Almost bed time.
Hammock all ready for sleepy time
One of the best cups of coffee I have ever had.
One last viw of the lake before leaving. You really cant see it but there is a waterfall back at the lake inlet that was really cool.
Small waterfall on the outlet and I was out of here with a swift hike back to the car. That camping spot by the upper macey lake was really special. I had marmots haning out with me the whole time.
In case you missed it here is the nature video from this back country spot.
Backpacking Horn Lakes in Sangre De Christo Wilderness 6.29.12 from Jaydude on Vimeo.
Links to Adventures
- 10 days on the Colorado Trail 8.24.15
- 12 Hours of Mesa Verde 4.12.13
- December Backpacking! Emerald Valley 12.2.12
- November Biking at its Finest
- Epic Pipeline Trail Night Ride 11.28.12
- Big Buffalo Creek Ride 10.28.12
- Backpacking the Great Sand Dunes 10.21.12
- St Marys/ Jones Park 10.13.12
- Ring the Peak 9.9.12
- Dam it feels good to be Bikepacking! 8.25.12
- Phantom Terrace: The adventures of the Comanche/Venable loop 8.19.12
- Best of Europe 7.21 - 8.3 2012
- Macey Lakes Sange De Christo Wilderness 6.30- 7.1 2012
- Nature Video 7.1 2012
- Horn Lakes Sange De Christo Wilderness 6.22 - 6.24 2012
- Celebrate the Summer Solcitice Ride 6.20.12
- Cascade Drop 6.16.2012
- Jones Park 5.27.2012
- 12 Hours of Mesa Verde 5.12.2012
- Jones Park 5.7.2012
- All Mountain Extravanganza! 4.21.2012
- Buffalo Creek 4.11.12
- March Madness 2012
- Snowshoeing the Crags 2.4.12
- New York New York 1.16.12
- 24 Hours of Palmer Park 10.4.11
- Centenial Cone 11.20.2011
- Backpacking Pikes Peak 9.5.2011
- Winter Park Downhill 8.18.2011
- Buffalo Creek/Colorado Trail 4.3.2011
- New Bike! 4.1.2011
- Riding Pueblo South Shore Trails 1.8.2011
- Red Rocks Canyon 12.30.2010
- December Riding 12.26.2010
- Rage in the Sage 24 hour Mountain Bike Race 8.21.10
- Lower Sand Creek Lake and Bishops Castle 8.9.2010
- Colorado Trail 8.1.2010
- Kokopelli 9.29.2009
- Kokopelli 5.1.2009
- Cheyenne Mountain State Park 3.1.2009
- Backpacking Pikes Peak 11.3.2008
- Lower Sand Creek Lake 9.22.2008
- Backpacking Pikes Peak Solo 9.6.2008
- Yellowstone/Beartooth 7.30.2008
- Ring the Peak 7.14.2008
- 2nd amendment5.16.2008
- Kokopelli Experience 4.25.2008
- Monarch Crest to Cotopaxi 9.03.2007
- Beartooth Mountains 7.28.2007
- Splish Splash at Rampart 5.26.2007
- Colorado Trail 9.2.2006
- Ramdom Old School Moab Pics Pre 2005
- Best of Videos