Another great backpacking trip of 2012. This time was with seth and he as become a strong hiker over the summer. This was a beautiful route and full of adventure. It was a bit busier as far as people goes but its also a very popular route. The highlight of course is the terrifying Phantom Terrace. The Phantom Terrace is a small ledgey trail along side a high alpine cliff next to Venable Peak. It last for about 200 yards or so and most of the way offers terrifying exposure! Check out the video and writeup below. Try not to laugh at the video.
phantom terrace from Jaydude on Vimeo.
Getting to the trail head we stomped our way though the dark, to above treeline, camping at Comanche Lake. It was a tough hike but Seth and I made short work of it.
Here is me having a cup of coffer on a grassy strip by the shore. It was as calm as heaven.
Getting ready to head out of our first nights camp spot.
A look back at the lake before we leave.
Seth is the man!
This has been a great year down in the Sangre's. This will be my third trip of 2012.
We start to hike up to the Comanche saddle.
Views of the lake below.
A good shot of the valley floor before leaving it behind.
Reaching the saddle I was a bit anxious to get to the Phantom Terrace!
Following the contour of the trail heading toward the Venable Saddle.
The start of the Phantom Terrace! It lived up the the hype!
Seth wasn't scared! The Phantom Terrace trail gets its name since it can only be seen from above. Down below, looking up, you have no clue where it is....
Looking back at what we just crossed.
The upper Venable lake was good sized and above treeline.
Dropping down to the lower Venable lakes where we plan to camp.
After some rain and hail we found a really nice camp spot.
Nice spot to get water, huh?
Time to pack up and leave.
AND down we go....
Different climate zones.
And this wraps up another killer adventure in the Sangre's!
Links to Adventures
- December Backpacking! Emerald Valley 12.2.12
- November Biking at its Finest
- Epic Pipeline Trail Night Ride 11.28.12
- Big Buffalo Creek Ride 10.28.12
- Backpacking the Great Sand Dunes 10.21.12
- St Marys/ Jones Park 10.13.12
- Ring the Peak 9.9.12
- Dam it feels good to be Bikepacking! 8.25.12
- Phantom Terrace: The adventures of the Comanche/Venable loop 8.19.12
- Best of Europe 7.21 - 8.3 2012
- Macey Lakes Sange De Christo Wilderness 6.30- 7.1 2012
- Nature Video 7.1 2012
- Horn Lakes Sange De Christo Wilderness 6.22 - 6.24 2012
- Celebrate the Summer Solcitice Ride 6.20.12
- Cascade Drop 6.16.2012
- Jones Park 5.27.2012
- 12 Hours of Mesa Verde 5.12.2012
- Jones Park 5.7.2012
- All Mountain Extravanganza! 4.21.2012
- Buffalo Creek 4.11.12
- March Madness 2012
- Snowshoeing the Crags 2.4.12
- New York New York 1.16.12
- 24 Hours of Palmer Park 10.4.11
- Centenial Cone 11.20.2011
- Backpacking Pikes Peak 9.5.2011
- Winter Park Downhill 8.18.2011
- Buffalo Creek/Colorado Trail 4.3.2011
- New Bike! 4.1.2011
- Riding Pueblo South Shore Trails 1.8.2011
- Red Rocks Canyon 12.30.2010
- December Riding 12.26.2010
- Rage in the Sage 24 hour Mountain Bike Race 8.21.10
- Lower Sand Creek Lake and Bishops Castle 8.9.2010
- Colorado Trail 8.1.2010
- Kokopelli 9.29.2009
- Kokopelli 5.1.2009
- Cheyenne Mountain State Park 3.1.2009
- Backpacking Pikes Peak 11.3.2008
- Lower Sand Creek Lake 9.22.2008
- Backpacking Pikes Peak Solo 9.6.2008
- Yellowstone/Beartooth 7.30.2008
- Ring the Peak 7.14.2008
- 2nd amendment5.16.2008
- Kokopelli Experience 4.25.2008
- Monarch Crest to Cotopaxi 9.03.2007
- Beartooth Mountains 7.28.2007
- Splish Splash at Rampart 5.26.2007
- Colorado Trail 9.2.2006
- Ramdom Old School Moab Pics Pre 2005
- Best of Videos